Skip to main content

Excuse for poor blogging

 I don't know why I don't blog more. I mean to, but I get side tracked. I've been busy of late. The home is coming along well, though I am still on the hunt for that couch and dining table. I even had my first visitor.

Work has been keeping me quite busy too. I can't think of the last cool thing I have learned at work though, so that's starting to worry me. 

As for what else I have been up to, I was out once again to Kelowna. We do this every year for the BC Day long weekend and this time I got a head start by getting there a day earlier than the others. It was an awesome time. By the end of it, there were 16 of us there. I learned many new things there. I learned that I can tan and peel. That's a little scary. I finished a book while there (R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma, worth a read) and got part way through another (David Davidar's The Solitude of Emperors, also pretty decent). I ran for about 80 minutes across the farms and fields of Kelowna, bought a tonne of fruit on the way back and generally had an amazing time with my friends. I love doing this sort of thing; hanging out with friends and visiting fun places. Next year, I hope to go on a cruise or something with a bunch of these folks.

I also had my first visitor staying over. Ray works at the same place I do, but lives in Florida. He came by for a visit and I hope he had a good time in Canada. Things I learned from Ray while he was here: we measure in strange units (for him), our summers are like Florida winters, we party hard (I doubt that is the case... but I'll add it here for completeness), our Jazz is quite good, our infrastructure and stuff (like customs at the airport etc) are efficient. Ray and I went for a run around Stanley Park one day when he was here, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is quite neat to be in the park on a non-holiday especially when the tide is out as well. I saw quite a few North Pacific sea stars stranded on the rocks that day.

I watched the 3 episodes of Sherlock, the new BBC series that brings  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's detective to the 21st century, with iPhone to boot. I am quite excited that the show has kept the main themes of the 19th Century Holmes intact and made new stories out of old ones. I hope they continue with the series. I am looking forward to the next season of Dexter and Spooks... I saw the trailer for season 5 of Dexter and it looks awesome. I do regret watching it though... but from what I recall of the season 4 trailer, I forgot most of it by the time the season started :).

Anyway, I'll try and blog more. Summer isn't very long here and we've been quite lucky to have good weather, so I've tried hard to be outside and do things instead of being inside all the time. Tomorrow, we barbecue on the lake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Blogger beta woes

I said in my earlier post that I had switched to Blogger beta. Since this has become more popular on account of the richer media available, a lot of blogs I follow have switched. I use the live bookmarks feature of Firefox to index and read the blogs... but sad to say, when I try to load the atom.xml file... I now get some crap from Yahoo!. I hate change. I embrace it willingly when I have to (as I do with beta software etc) but when something works the way I like it... I like it. If someone knows how to fix this so the live bookmarks work again in Firefox, do let me know.