Skip to main content

Finding happiness

I have been put up to a new task. I am allegedly supposed to find out what makes me happy and start doing it. Those are orders from the boss. Apparently my happiness or more appropriately, the lack of it has an affect on everyone else. I never knew that.

There is one slight problem with this. The trouble with finding happiness is two-fold; on the one hand, you have a very hard time describing what happiness is, what makes you happy; on the other, you are afraid that you might actually find it. Then what? Well, be happy right? Really? We are human. I get bored of things quickly. But I think I will give it a shot.

So, I embark on my given task. I wonder if I keep saying I am happy if I will buy into it. Likely not. How do I figure out what makes me happy? I don't know. Alcohol? Not really. I collect, but I don't consume. Finish work on time? Well, that could work, but then I would have to figure out what to do once I leave. Sleep? Can sleep make you happy? Money? I think money makes you more miserable. Maybe not. Either way, I am broke. My prospects for the lottery are not that good either. I do get paid for my work but I find ways of spending it. So, money isn't going to make me happy.

A pet? Well, maybe. I have pets but not quite what I used to have. A cursory look at my dwelling space will tell you there are many pictures of my canid pets from the past. Alas, they are no longer alive, but now that I think about it, I was quite a happy person when I had them around. Of course, living in Canada with a dog looks like a tonne of work. You have to keep it in the house, which I don't mind. You have to take it out for its business, you have to keep it occupied while you slave away at work, you have to keep it active, physically and mentally. Do I have time for that? Do I have the resources for that? I wish I did. I will do a lot of things, but I cannot bring myself to have a miserable animal about me. So, a dog is most certainly out of the question given time constraints.

That leaves very little in terms of things that I can think of that are supposed to make me happy. So, what do I do? Sit under a tree and medidate perhaps? It is cold outside at this time of the year.

It isn't so much that I am miserable (as perceived by some others) as I am indifferent to what is around me. I miss things I should pick up right away. It as if I am functioning on my half of my senses; the ability to think exists, the ability to critically think is impaired. Distractions are abundant (like this). Life goes on. Achievements mean little especially since there is a draught in accomplishments. So, what do I do? For now, I think I will sleep on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Blogger beta woes

I said in my earlier post that I had switched to Blogger beta. Since this has become more popular on account of the richer media available, a lot of blogs I follow have switched. I use the live bookmarks feature of Firefox to index and read the blogs... but sad to say, when I try to load the atom.xml file... I now get some crap from Yahoo!. I hate change. I embrace it willingly when I have to (as I do with beta software etc) but when something works the way I like it... I like it. If someone knows how to fix this so the live bookmarks work again in Firefox, do let me know.